Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Lost in flight, I remain



I need a lover and a friend,
All friendships you transcend-
And impotent, I remain

You are Noah and the Ark
You are the light and the dark-
Behind the veil, I remain

You are passion and are rage
You are the bird and the cage-
Lost in flight, I remain

You are the wine and the cup 
You are the ocean and the drop-
While afloat, I remain

I said, "O Soul of the world
My desperation has taken hold!"
"I am thy essence," without scold,
"Value me much more than gold."

You are the bait and the trap
You are the path and the map-
While in search, I remain

You are poison and the sweet
You are defeated and defeat-
Sword in hand, I remain

You are the wood and the saw
You are cooked, and are raw-
While in a pot, I remain

You are sunshine and the fog
You are water and the jug-
While thirsty, I remain

Sweet fragrance of Shams that is,
The joy and pride of Tabriz-
Perfume trader, I remain.

Jelaluddin Rumi 
(Diwan-e-Shams-Tabrizi)

No comments:

Post a Comment